Thursday, March 27, 2014


 
GOOD THINGS ARE HAPPENING AT THE ERC


I guess I painted a rather bleak picture in the last entry, but life has gone on in a very blessed way. I am absolutely loving what I do here at the ERC! I have become the “resume Queen”, according to Sister Splain (who would have guessed !!). I always pray every morning—and often during the day—that I might have the Spirit to be with me to guide me and help me in whatever I do, but especially when I help candidates with resumes (and with registration, to discern their needs and to help them feel His love). I mentioned previously that I have a gift for language and writing that I have seldom used, and He has helped me to use it in the very best way. It is hard to explain, but there is a kind of synergy that comes as I work with someone on their resume, accompanied by spiritual insight. When we get through and format it on Word, there is a confirmation that it is just right that comes to both of us. Often, he or she will say, “that's really me, isn't it”--probably the highest compliment that could be given. Yesterday, an older gentleman, who had amazing credentials in the nuclear fuel field and who had accomplished so many significant things, such as saving the taxpayers over $3million. His resumes, he had 19, were over 14 pages long and filled with titles, experiences, accomplishments. He merely wanted to go back to work somewhere using the knowledge and experiences he had in quality assurance to help a private company, because he just loved to work in his field. He didn't care about the money and would settle for a quarter of what he was worth. It was the hardest resume I have done to date and took over 6 hours of effort, but it was so much fun for both of us, the time just flew by. He was delighted with the result (at one point, he smiled and almost through tears said, “that is finally really me, isn't it?” and I felt the Holy Ghost like a wind pass by me, as I also felt tears of gratitude). Everyone (who had avoided working with him, because it was so scarey hard) was amazed, and I was praised by my co-workers and Ben, who I really look up to in this area. It was a really good day, and everyone (even the sisters) was so nice toward me. Sister Splain, who is the resident expert on resumes, said that I was the "Queen of Resumes." 



Sister Clark, my companion, went home the end of Feb. and I have felt quite liberated to be myself (though the other two sisters still don't feel I am an acceptable person, even while they congratulate me on all the work I am doing). Yet, it is a little lonely now that I am living alone. I'm not ever afraid, as I have felt very loved and protected by the Lord in my life, and I try to communicate with him often about my activities. I am steadily repenting of my many weaknesses, especially when I drive, and I am improving. I don't feel any bad feelings toward those who have persecuted me (and the negative comments and scrutiny have continued). I am excited about the future and going home, where I can continue to do what I am doing here to help people (or whatever the stake president has in mind). In the meantime, I am hoping for busy days and lots of resumes, and a chance to teach the career workshop a few more times. The Lord has blessed me to find lovely places to walk after work , and the trees are leafing out, the flowers are starting up in trees, on cacti, and and in gardens. It is starting to get hot already (it's still March!!!), but I have air conditioning inside, and the evenings are still good. Bobbie is coming to vacation here in April, so I will get to see her (and send my winter things home—and anything else I won't need). I can't wait to see her and Ashton, if only for a couple of days. There are now three newly called senior sisters coming, two in April and one in May, and I will be training them in what I know. I have spoken to one on the the phone and she is really lovely, and I can't wait to meet her.

I really look forward to helping with resumes, but they are done by appointment because they take so much time. Yesterday, I really enjoyed working with another candidate, Ryan, who has been looking for work for a very long time, even though he is talented and well-qualified in his field. He took the career workshop and then we worked to get his resume just right. He was so happy with it, and so was I. I also learned still more about how to format (some day I'll know it all!). The field was quite complicated and it took some time to find quantifiable information in simplified language, but it really looked good when we finished. He hugged me with joy because he now has a new hope of getting employment, and his testimony was strengthened.


A GOOD STORY DURING “DEAD” TIME AT THE ERC

Today the center is “dead” (which is why I am writing this now) with little or no activity ( I always hate it when no one comes, because I love the work and I love to be busy). I guess I should use this time, when it come, to write more about what has transpired here. However, when it is really busy, so much happens that I forget over days. There was a very nice man who came in to have help with his resume who was very talented in painting cars, and he had a portfolio of photos of some he has done. Because of the economy, he had been downsized, but he was very conscientious and knew how to do the job right, without compromise in quality (I wondered if that was why he was unemployed). We worked together and he was pleased and we looked for jobs he could pursue. Anyway, the next week, as I was trying to back out of the tiny parking places divided by poles, I brushed against the pole and really messed up the right front fender, including a dent. I was dismayed, but remembered Victor, the car painter, so I called him to look at it. It's amazing how much it costs to fix even a scratch. Elder Bunn, who has a lot of knowledge of lots of things, said that car paint costs at least $200 a gallon, and with the specialized pearlized paint, more. I learned that the estimate for my problem was around $2800!!  Could he do it for much less?  Victor said that the materials to fix it would be over $300, but possibly more. He said he would do the work for $500, the amount of my deductible, and very painlessly, as he would take my car when I went to the Center, and then bring it back before 5PM.. He also said he would completely detail it. He came back after the first day, and it looked gorgeous. Even the fender was only a little noticeable. The second day, he really did the body work, took out the dent, sanded, etc..and came back after work. It was like new. However, when I asked him if he came out all right financially, he said that he had to pay for color-matching because the paint didn't exactly match the car. He said he was all right about it, that “it was what it was”, but I was concerned he was underpaid. He said he only cleared $100 for the job, and I knew it was too little for that great job, so I paid he another $100, and he was grateful. I hope he finds a good place to work, where his work ethic is valued.


2 comments:

  1. Oh Mom! You told me these stories, but it was good to hear about your tender mercy with the painter. And I'm so proud of our "Resume Queen." I remember hours and hours spent with you on essays and research papers. You were and are my inspiration when it comes to word choice and sentence fluency. It's about time you got some recognition for it! Ha ha, makes me wonder if schools should rethink how they award their students, considering how much help they get from their moms!
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni, it's so good to hear these wonderful stories and to know that things are looking up for you and you have been having some positive experiences. Truly the Lord knows your heart; he knows the ending from the beginning and I know that all these experiences and trials you have passed through will be a great blessing to you in the future. You are an amazing, wonderful woman and I admire you for sticking to this! Truly your release in May will be a very "Honorable" one! Hang in there and enjoy this last month and a half! Glad you finally get to enjoy some time to yourself there. Love you, Dorothy

    ReplyDelete