Sunday, November 17, 2013


ADVENTURES IN THE EMPLOYMENT RESOURCE CENTER PART 1




I am beginning to become proficient at the computer, something I never thought I would ever do or even  want to do. I want to start describing some of the adventures I've had in the ERC, and will try to do a weekly entry after this, but now I am going to try to recall experiences from the last month. When I first came to the office, there was so much to learn about how to do things. From the first, the best part to me was counseling with people who came in seeking employment. I was so impressed about how much help was available, that, in the ward Relief Society meeting (my new ward here), I shared briefly what the ERC had to offer (the lesson that week was on the welfare plan of the Church in connection with becoming self-sufficient..). I noticed a lovely young lady watching me intently and smiling, and later talked with her. She said she was trying to find a job and wanted to come in to learn about it. Her name was Debra, and, sure enough, the next day, during our brief devotional (spiritual thought and prayer), I saw her waiting outside our door. I got to register her on the website and show her how to access our resources. It was so fun and she hugged me as she left. I didn't realize she was not a member, just a friend visiting. Imagine how thrilled I was when I learned she had found a job—and so quickly! I learned this from the elders who asked if my companion and I knew a “Debra---”. And I said I had introduced her to the center. They said she was so grateful (and she later came down to the center to thank me, but I had just left for a couple of minutes).  I was so sad not to see her, but I was so happy that this blessing came into her life, and I know it's not about me, but about Him and everyone who serves countless hours here. In any case, she is being taught the gospel, and I asked if I could come to the lessons, but haven't heard back. I continue to pray for her and feel blessed to have participated in this small miracle.


No comments:

Post a Comment