Thursday, November 21, 2013


ADVENTURES IN THE ERC PART 2





As I wrote before, we get to the office at 8AM in the morning, and we have a spiritual thought and prayer, which rotates around to all of us. Some of them are very touching or interesting (today, Elder Bunn told about the six different temple angels (Moroni) used at the top of the temples). There are a number of activities going on at once when we open (usually we open the doors at 8:30 because many of our candidates have to use public transportation (if they can afford that—some are homeless), even though we are “officially” open at 9AM.   Someone is always at the desk, the “con” (Elder Bunn described that person as in charge (or 'controller') of making sure our activites are “in order”. The front desk person is either very busy or not, depending on the people who come. This position is rotated throughout the day in two hour shifts that are posted for the month for each of us. Besides answering the phone, greeting (warmly) our candidates as they come in (asking to print clearly their names—they seldom do!), making sure they have someone to help them if they are new or need resume or other help, and, if we are not busy, she/he records the notes for those who came the day before. Every client has a file and there is a computer procedure for recording the notes and doing the “claim tasks” (this is when a new person is registered and his account is enabled and “welcome” letter is sent by email). There is another responsibility that was told to me when I came but I had never done it, because my shifts were usually later in the day. The first person at the desk is supposed to turn off the phone “night line” when he starts, so people calling in don't get the “after hours” message.   I was never shown the place on the phone where it is, and, though I looked on the phone, I couldn't find anything flashing (I thought they said "night light"!!). I wondered when there were no calls, but it was quickly discovered and explained and I was so embarrassed!

It has now been going on two months and there have been so many people who have come in. I have helped to register dozens and I honestly don't remember most of them, even though I tried to take notes on them, so I can keep my eye out for incoming jobs that they might want. Most of them come in just once to register and use their home computers to search for a job, come in to register just to satisfy their bishop's requirement that they look for a job before they get help, or find a job quickly on their own (with our counseling help!). Some we see almost every day as they work so hard to find employment. We are all excited (and ring a bell) when someone comes in to celebrate with us. There are some, however, who really touch my heart. One of my favorite ones was an older very dignified black man in his sixties, Paul, who was so pleasant and appreciative. He is not a member of the Church and was impressed that so much help was offered without charge. I registered him on our website, showed him all about the website (including links to other job sites, networking events, self-employment information, school and community job sites), and showed him all the jobs that have come directly into our center and are posted in our “job” books by date (latest at the front). He was extremely well qualified and well educated, especially in electrical installation and repair in heavy construction, and there were several openings he was quite over-qualified for that he seemed interested in. Then he told me that his big problem with some of the jobs more suitable for him was the mandatory background check, because somewhere in the distant past he had a felony.  He had obviously had a difficult life and was in combat during the Viet Nam War.   I was so surprised that someone so refined would have that problem, but he was quite sad about it so I just encouraged him that there was surely someone who would need his expertise. He said he was really impressed with the Center and commented about “something here” meaning something special. I talked about the Spirit and how this building was dedicated and consecrated for the Lord and His work. After he left, I found another possible job for him with a small (one man) electric company and gave him the number. I called him on the number in his profile and told him about it (we often do this for people we've come to know). He thanked me again and several days later, he called the Center to let us know he got the job (and to thank me—I was told, as I didn't get the call). I was so happy for him. Later, he came by to thank me in person, but I was not in the office (was in the back or running an errand to the Mission Office) and I was so sad I missed him, but, because he had such a special spirit, I felt impressed to refer him to the missionaries through the Mission Office, which is just down the building from us. 




1 comment:

  1. What sweet experiences you are having! Such a blessing to actually see that you are helping people.

    ReplyDelete