Friday, November 22, 2013


ADVENTURES IN THE ERC PART 3

Because we are officially missionaries from 8AM to 5PM at our employment “adviser job”, even though we are “full-time” missionaries, we have evenings, Saturdays (P Day) and Sundays to do as we see fit. Usually, in the evenings, we are so tired (and it is dark when we leave the office) that we don't do much more that prepare dinner and eat , have companion study, and get ready for the next day and for bed. We usually rise up around 5:30 AM to get ready for work. However, there have been some notable exceptions: namely, the Gladys Knight concerts! The one we went to was at our own building (still a good 15 to 20 min drive from our apt.) and we lined up over an hour before we were alllowed to go in (a new record for me, but, it was so worth it!). Because they had let in all those who were disabled and many non-members and their friends, we had to sit back behind the chapel despite the fact that we had arrived early enough to be well front of the line. Then, a friend of Sister Houseman, who was an usher, brought she and Sister Splain, her companion, clear up to the front! We were a little sad there weren't seats for us to be with them,  yet, our seats gave us  a great opportunity, even before the concert, to do fellowshipping with good people, There was a wonderful well-spoken black man and his wife in the seat next to me (Sister Clark and I didn't have seats together until later when they brought an extra chair). It was so fun to share the Gospet and lots of laughs with them, and I really felt they would love being members of the Church. We had so much fun talking I didn't notice the time, and there was quite a wait for the concert (which started quite late). Anyway, I told him about the neat gift they were going to give non-members of the Church if they filled out a referral (with a CD, DVD, and Book of Mormon), and they both laughed, but in a very welcoming way (felt they would like it). Anyway, when they announced about the referrals and the gifts, I told them that I saw “their” pen on the floor provided for that purpose, and they laughed again, but they filled out the form! Anyway, after the best concert I have ever been to, they thanked me and said they hoped they would see me again ( I told them to stop by our ERC!). It was really fun being there as a missionary!! The concert was amazing and quite indescribable. It was very entertaining, the group were very very professional, the singing was beautiful, fun, exciting and spiritual, but turns, and the testimonies were so touching and wonderful. I had a very strong impression as I sat in the midst of this heterogeneous group (as Gladys said, you look like ice cream, chocolate and vanilla!), that this is the time of the African races, here and around the world. You remember how different groups and races have come into the Church (remember the “day of the Lamanite” in President Kimball's time?), Well, I felt strongly that this wondrous group of happy and easy-going people were going to come in in droves, and their special traits would greatly bless the Church with fun and joy, as well as bless their people. I feel a particular sisterhood with these special brothers and sisters, and I feel very blessed to be part of this. Afterwards, there was such a spirit of brotherhood and people lingered to socialize, so we got home particularly late that night!!

1 comment:

  1. You made that evening sound so fun. Gladys Knight is a special daughter of God. I love to listen to her sing.
    .

    ReplyDelete