Friday, December 13, 2013

 
 
HERE COMES CHRISTMAS IN THE ERC
 
 
Here we are in December, already, and facing Christmas in the mission field.  I, for one, am not too dismayed, though I will miss my family.  This is all about serving the Savior (my choice) and serving others here, so I am feeling the Spirit of Christ--the best feeling of all--without all the hustle and bustle of the "season".  Many of the family will be together with Traci at her home (Bobbie and Ashton and David), Danny and Corky will be with Dan, perhaps with Dan and Noelle, and Laurel will have a great family Christmas in San Antonio.  I am excited that Dane and Noelle will be coming this way at the end of the season to come to a farewell for Dane's grandparents (going to Guatemala on their mission) in Cedar City.  They said they would come down on Sat (Dec. 28) and visit me!  In the meantime, I had another wonderful visit with my dearest friend, Mindy Webb, who came from Bainbridge to visit McKay!!  She and Stan and McKay came to see me and took me to lunch, and I was so excited to see them!!  We talked and laughed and the time passed so quickly, I was sorry to see it end.  I take it one day at a time and I have found so many big and little blessings that come to me each day, no matter how difficult it is over-all. I just received a lovely card from Andrea and Ron, which really touched my heart, and a big scroll of paper that was sent from the ward, I think, with lots of happy and supportive little notes from children, teens and adults!  I feel so loved right now, and then, wouldn't you know it, a wonderful (heavy) Christmas package from Traci with some of the most beautiful pictures of the children--I started to cry to see their beautiful faces-- and lots of fun things and, right here in the ERC comes a huge flower arrangement from Noelle and Dane.  My goodness, I am really overcome with gratitude for the goodness of all my friends and family and the love of God, manifested so clearly to me.  Last night I traveled with Sister Splain and Sister Houseman to an incredible performance of the Nativity, done for the whole valley by Church Stakes in this area.  It was a musical drama with a "host" of angels that appeared on the roof of the building above the nativity, singing  "Angels We Have heard on High" that made me feel like what it might have been like at Bethlehem!!  It was really dramatic with the majestic version by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir  (accompanying them in the background).  The donkey carrying Mary across the stage (which was actually a street on the campus) halted and refused to continue (even tho his friend, another donkey,  was across from him--which I am sure was pre-planned to give him incentive to go all the way to the door of the "inn").  Compelling  him to go wouldn't work, so Joseph helped Mary down and they continued on foot to the inn door(s).  Meanwhile, I watched  the donkey's handler go up to the donkey and  whisper in his ear and scratch under his chin, and then quietly lead him across the stage.  To me, this was a type of the Savior, who never compels but entreats, and was so appropriate for the evening.   

No comments:

Post a Comment