Thursday, December 26, 2013

 
OVER CHRISTMAS IN LAS VEGAS
 
My goodness, so much to do and think about here, and this will be a hodgepodge of experiences and thoughts.  To add to the excitement, Min is really coming along in the discussions and the elders invited me to come to tonight's appointment and bear my testimony about the importance of Church attendance in receiving answers to prayers.  I can't wait!!  Anyway, if I can remember it all last week right after the Mission Christmas party at about the same time that I realized that Heavenly Father had softened the hearts of those I work with toward me (there is no other explanation--it certainly not me!),  two young women came into the office from a DI referral, who were very special.  They were obviously very close friends, one, Aquilla, was the "mentor" or leader (she was black), while Marissa, the white person, was the one receiving help.  They made it clear that the Savior had rescued them from a aberrant life of drugs and they felt "saved."  While I was registering Aquilla (Marissa was already registered), we talked about the reality of Christ's Church, and I told them about how things were done in His LDS Church (that all the services they were receiving were the result of consecrated money and time by members of the Church, who gave out of their love for the Savior and their brothers and sisters).  As I talked about the Church and some of the principles of the Gospel, I could tell they were impressed, so I asked if "they would be willing to learn more about His Church." (The wording of this is very important, as anyone of us can further His work of salvation by asking prepared--even minimally--non-members this innocuous question.).  They immediately said "yes" with enthusiasm, and we all hugged (several times--they really liked my hugs!).  I sent a referral to the Mission Office, of course, but learned they might be in the other mission (they are right on the border), so I made sure I let them know I wanted to participate, if possible, with the missionaries.  Anyway, it doesn't end there, because the next Monday,  Dec 23, I saw a flyer about a job hiring event that came late the day of the event, and called both of them to tell them about it.  I wasn't sure they could even make it, because they told me it would be over shortly in that morning, but Marissa came in later in the day for help.  What struck me  was the change in her in the short time since she came in Friday.  She had come in that Fri looking discouraged with clothes that were threadbare, and I could tell she was depressed and feeling hopeless.  She left much encouraged and happier, but when she came in Mon, she looked and acted like a new person: hopeful, and ready to take charge of her life.  She needed help with her resume, and there was little time before we closed.  I don't usually want to do this, but she was so excited and hopeful that I wanted to help her the best I could. Usually, I ask everyone  I help to prepare their own resume or at least the skeleton of one, and then I help them with language and formatting.  She, however, had nothing prepared and she couldn't remember much of what she knew she had done and when.  This was the most high pressure I have been under to date, as we worked feverishly to complete it before we closed!!  I have learned a lot about formatting on the computer, but I am not as sure-footed at Sister Splain and Sister Clark, and was grateful when Sister Splain was able to lend a hand several times when I forgot how to do something.  We finished it, but everybody had gone home, except Shawn, the manager who locked up the building, when I finally got her several copies.  Her gratitude and hugs were reward enough for me. 

1 comment:

  1. I know I never comment because I feel like I'm always catching up on your blog (!), but I have to say two things: one, your hugs are the BEST! and, two, if anyone can work feverishly under pressure for a deadline, it's you. I'm thinking of YEARS of getting lunches ready right before the bus and projects completed and papers edited, etc. It may sound silly, but you always did an outstanding and cool-headed job under pressure. Just so ya know. ;)

    ReplyDelete