Thursday, December 26, 2013

 
 
OUR CHRISTMAS PARTY
 
 
Yesterday, we had our party for all the senior missionaries.  Only one couple, the medical missionaries (doctor and nurse), were unable to come, so there were nine of us altogether, including Pam.  I cooked a turkey all night (very tender) and we had lots of other things prepared.  The guests also brought food contributions and we had two put together long tables (from Pam and Sister Clark) for a dining table (ours was used for the food).  Sister Splain and Sister Houseman, the other sister missionaries, Brother and Sister Sudweeks and Brother and Sister Hunt, both couples of whom work in the Mission office and Pam came to partake, and it was quite a fun gathering.  We ate and talked and then played games.  Brother Sudweeks had us  play a version of "What would you do if...?" which was fun, I led them in the picture/caption game, where we fold up the paper and come out with funny combinations (not as funny as it is when our family plays this--they were too literal).  And then, we started to play the game, "make three statements about yourself, one of which is true" and we had to guess the false one.  That got bogged down when Sister Sudweeks described how her husband rescued her from a Burmese Python that had gotten loose from their teenage son's room and was very large!!  Nobody could top that and it was getting late.  Pam and the Hunts, my favorite missionary couple, had to go home, but we stayed up with the Sudweeks playing Quitrkel (?) which was really interesting.  By then I was a bit dazed because I had been unable to sleep Christmas Eve at all (!!) and I couldn't even catch a nap before everybody came ( I always get so angry with myself when I can't sleep).  We thought our little party was a great success! 
 
However the best part of the day to me was that each of my children made an effort to call me to wish me a Merry Christmas, and I got to talk to them for a little while each.  I miss them all, but I know they had a great time together, even without me!          
There was another party (“tis the season”...) on Monday night after work for the senior missionaries, which everyone attended. Ususally, once a month, the senior missionaries have a FHE together, usually at the President's home. Because the Ahlander's were hosting their family from home, we decided to have all of us go out for dinner together. We decided on Outback Steakhouse (I was not really consulted, but delighted!). It was really a fun time, and the best food!! The Outback here, near the ERC is the best I have ever been to!! I ordered my favorite, though expensive (we literally never do things like this in the mission, so I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity!) Victoria filet (the 6oz one which seemed as big as 8oz steaks I've seen Corky get), and it was so perfect! I even splurged and got a tiny dessert! I sat across from the Hunts, who work in the office, and it was so much fun getting to know them. He is really hilarious and she is angelic (just as nice as she can be). It was an altogether lovely evening and I hope we can do this more often that every three months (!).
                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment