Monday, December 23, 2013


LIFE'S LESSONS IN THE ERC



After writing about the relationship  problems I have been having, and having received an answer to prayer, I found the next several days here were worse, if posssible. In fact, I daren't write what I was thinking, as I was ready to “run away.” However, I just kept remembering the admonition of the Spirit to be “meek,” and I tried not to “answer back” to anyone who sharply criticized me or corrected me or ordered me to do something (with no “please” or “thank you”). I tried to smile and do what was asked or say nothing and get busy with tasks in the office that needed to be done. Then, last week, right after the Mission Christmas party, which was really wonderful, there was a complete change. I was treated completely differently, with respect and kindness. If I had not experienced it, I never would have believed it—and I knew that Heavenly Father had softened some hearts. I knew, then, that He is so mindful of me and He loves me so much, and that I will serve Him here for as long as He wants me here.



The Christmas party was huge, with 250 elder and sister missionaries! There were some humorous and some serious talks and music, and it was a good time. After President and Sister Ahlander spoke, there were some special musical numbers by the missionaries as well as a cute “reader's theatre” about the Nativity and some of the less well known participants, like the donkey. It was really quite funny, but in a reverent way. The dinner was absolutely wonderful—and each of us was served by the mothers of missionaries in the stake. They went to a great deal of trouble to wrap gifts for each of the young missionaries. Then we watched the movie, Ephraim's Crossing, which I had never seen. The party went later by an hour than was scheduled, and I was to go with the elders to visit one of our wonderful candidates, who had told me she wanted to learn more about the Church, Min. We were very far away from our appointment and I had to take Sister Clark home first, so we left as soon as the movie ended and I just barely made it to the meeting place. Because of mission rules, single sisters can't go with the elders to teach (unless there is an extra elder or we go to the chapel). I picked up Min and followed the elders to the ward chapel. These elders were so inspired, and the Spirit was there the whole time. I tried to add some things to help clarify when she looked confused. Her English is very good, but she still doesn't understand everything, and she prefers to read in Mandarin or Cantonese. I could see how the Lord had correlated this whole experience for her benefit. First, the sweetest -spirited young elders, one of whom was familiar with Mandarin, though he didn't speak it. Then, as we were teaching in the foyer by the door, people came into a scout meeting, one of whom, was a neighbor and friend to Min (!), and the elders said there was another Cantonese-speaking woman in the ward that could help her understand sacrament. Everything is by design and His hand is in every good thing. In the visit, the elders challenged her to be baptised right off the bat, which surprised me. She didn't know what to say, so I said that if she found what they were saying was true, she would want to be baptised, wouldn't she? She said she would want to be baptised when she was sure it was true. She prayed for the first time, and it was so sweet. It was clear she had little concept of God in her life, and, as she confided to me when I brought her home, she needed someone to”lean on”. I hope she prays to know the truth about what she heard. I know she felt the Spirit as I certainly did.

No comments:

Post a Comment